Thursday, October 14, 2010

Stuffed bhindi (okra) with besan

As I mentioned in my last post that my friend Madhuri got me lots of veggies from Indian store in Toronto. She got me very very fresh okra and I love okra in any form. This time I decided to make stuffed okra with a twist of besan (gram flour). And then I freeze it for a week as my DH was in Germany and I didn't want to relish it alone! When my DH came back, I served it with daal-rice. I simply re-heated it on my stove. Surprisingly it was very fresh even after it stayed in freezer for a week. So here is the recipe of this delicious dish. Finally decorate with some coriander leaves and serve hot (unless your hubby is out of town! In that case freezing it and reheating before serving is fine too :)).

Ingredients:
1/2 lb okra (slit and head removed)
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp crushed roasted cumin
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp fennel powder
2 tsp kasoori methi
1/2 tsp amchur powder
red chili powder to taste
salt to taste
2 tbsp besan (gram flour)
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves

In a bowl, mix cumin, coriander powder, fennel powder, kasoori methi, amchur powder, red chili and salt in 1 tbsp oil. Now stuff okra with this mixture and leave it for 30 minutes. Now take a pan and heat
2 tbsp oil. Add the besan and fry for few seconds and add stuffed okra in it. Cook on sim for 10 minutes with lid covered. The mositure from okra will be trapped inside and make okra soft. Now remove the lid and cook for another 20 minutes or until the okra is crisp. Keep stirring occasionally.

1 comment:

  1. My mom used to make this..Bhindi Besan..always a good combination

    ReplyDelete